Thursday, May 13, 2010

End of the School Year

I'm experiencing for the first time May as a teacher... I never paid this much attention (before I had students in 7 grades) to how many field trips there are at the end of the year!  We also have field days, talent shows, and DJ parties coming up.

Since I only see my 4th-6th grade students every other week, yesterday marked the start of my last art classes.  Every student is taking a post-test over basic color theory for my SMART goal data and then I'm having them take a survey to give me feedback.  I've pulled a few random surveys out of the box to read and I'm really glad that I decided to do it!  Here are the questions on the survey:

1. What was your favorite art lesson of the year and why? (I projected a list of projects for each grade as a reminder.)
2. Is there anything Mrs.Morris could do differently (how she teaches) to help students learn better?
3. What is something good about how Mrs.Morris teaches Art?
4. What did you learn from the mural project? <----- This will help with my follow up paperwork for the grant I recieved!
5. Write down anything else you would like to tell Mrs.Morris

I can't wait to go through and figure out the most popular projects for each grade.  It will help me decide which projects to revisit next year and I think when the students are voting in writing, they are more likely to give an honest answer than to vote for their friends' favorite.

Before the students started the survey, we talked about constructive criticism.  I reminded them that even if I ask them to fix something on their projects, I don't say "this is bad" and walk away, I give them tips and specific ways to improve!  Most students so far have written "nothing" or left #2 blank but I have been given a couple things to think about.  One student said they needed more time on projects and another said to talk slower! (I warned them that I talk fast when I get excited!)  It would be interesting to know if students would rather get to do fewer projects but have more time on each or more projects with more variety with a little less time...

I liked these two back to back answers on the same survey:
2. Is there anything Mrs.Morris could do differently (how she teaches) to help students learn better?

explain more

3. What is something good about how Mrs.Morris teaches Art?
she explains things

The mural project is finally finished and I have oh so many lessons to write about!  I think the next two weeks will just get busier so I'll probably have quite a bit of catching up to do after school is out!

1 comment:

  1. This is a nice idea, and not just for a new teacher. I've been teaching a long time but feedback from the kids is still always helpful.
    Come visit my newish blog There's a Dragon in my Art Room at http://plbrown.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete