Monday, October 25, 2010

1st Grade Scarecrows


First grade students made these scarecrows, I think they turned out really cute!  We talked about geometric shapes and looked at a scarecrow I brought to the Art room to get ideas on how to form the body.  I let the students choose a piece of 6"x9" construction paper for the background and they cut construction paper scraps to form the body.  The students did not draw the shapes with pencil before cutting, they drew with their scissors!  In the second class period, they used construction paper crayons to add details and a background.  Many of the students also had time to write artist statements, most of them said something to the effect of: I love my scarecrow because it is awesome. :)








Check out the rest of the scarecrows and artist statements in our Artsonia gallery!

1 comment:

  1. Those are adorable! They would be extra cute with a little raffia sticking out here and there like straw!

    ReplyDelete