Thursday, January 13, 2011

Artsy iPhone Apps


My husband has had an iPhone for about a year and a half... I never thought I needed one but when we had upgrades available, I got his old iPhone and I love it!  The first application I added is called Faces iMake and it is AWESOME!  The application made the list of top educational apps.  Faces iMake is based on the artwork of Hanoch Piven who I discovered earlier in the school year.  (Check out the Piven-inspired self portraits my 4th grade students made!)  I started with the free "lite" version and decided to add the premium version for $1.99 that lets you have more choices and more control over the elements you add.  You can make your own faces and digital collages and see lots of cool images at FacesiMake.com and on their facebook page.  The picture below was made by my 5 year old niece.  Oh! You can make portraits of your contacts and set it to display when they call!

***I just saw that you can vote for Faces iMake for best artistic app! http://bestappever.com/v/rtst/O/389101695


My other favorite App so far is the free MoMA app that "puts a museum in your pocket".  The App lets you find out about their schedule, programs, etc. but what I really like is that you can search their collection.  You can see images of most of the work in their collection on your phone, read a description, and even zoom in to see details.  You can also read a lot of information about the artist and even search through a giant list of Art terms.  I don't know how many of my students have iPhones or iPads being in a low income area but I am going to recommend both of these applications when I return to school!

1 comment:

  1. I am an 'all things apple' enthusiast as well! I have those apps too, here are some other goodies: Art Authority, Fracture,Type Drawing, Artist's Touch, iDroste, Line Art... It's super exciting to think of ways to use these in the classroom!!! :)

    ReplyDelete