Thursday, December 20, 2012

1st Grade Presidential Posters

The week of the 2012 US Presidential election, my first graders started working on campaign posters. We viewed and discussed some of the campaign posters I collected on my Pinterest board. We talked about symbolism (red/white/blue, flag, white house, eagle, etc.) and design features including the composition, year, name, and portrait. I also used the famous Shepard Fairey "HOPE" poster to touch on copyright. (If you don't know the story, read a summary here.) The students' assignment was to think of someone they would like to be president- it could not be someone really running- like a family member, friend, or his or herself.
 
I didn't go over facial proportions, but we did talk about including all of the necessary features. It's amazing how many students skip noses and ears! We had a lot of self portraits, siblings, parents, and a couple animals. And, if you look a little below, you'll see that one student put me on her poster! This was a fun lesson, and fairly simple. The only needed supplies are paper, pencils, sharpies to outline, and crayons.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Katie

    These posters really make me smile. I especially like Puppy for President and Jennifer's strong design. GREAT project - I don't think we need to wait for the next election to try it. How about President's Day?

    ReplyDelete