Tuesday, June 25, 2013

2013 Tornado Safety

This has become an annual project. (View last year's post here: http://artteacheradventures.blogspot.com/2012/08/1st-grade-tornado-safety.html) When I was little, I was terrified of tornados. I'm still not a fan, but at least I understand what is happening now. I think that by educating students about what happens in a tornado, and how to stay safe during one, I can hopefully help ease some fears.
This year, I utilized a PowerPoint that I created in one of my graduate classes for the introduction before the students started painting. The second day was used to make the tornado, write the safety tip, and add details to finish the artwork. I check the students' safety tips to make sure they are giving advice that is safe and try to catch spelling/grammatical errors. Some forget to check their writing with me, but that leads to some cute mistakes.
I'll share the PowerPoint below in case it helps anyone out!

 After I told students that they could get in a ditch if they were outside without shelter during a tornado, they asked "What if there's water in the ditch?" I told them they probably shouldn't lie down in a ditch full of water. That lead to the following safety tip: "Stay out of water. Just to be safe."



Then there is the classic pieces of advice "Don't get close to tornados."
And one of my favorites from this year, "Stay out of strong wind raining ice cubes and find a safe place." Hail. I think you mean "hail". :)

No comments:

Post a Comment